Bruise Reviews: The Old Firm Casuals – We Want the Lion’s Share

(Oi! The Boat Records)

For the longest time, Lars Fredriksen was that other “Mohawk-sporting dude” from Rancid that played guitar and would occasionally sing a song or two. Then, in 2001, he suddenly ducked out of the shadows for a taste of the limelight with his side project Lars Fredriksen and the Bastards. After two albums with ‘the Bastards (s/t and Viking) and a world tour, he seemed comfortable in proving his ability with his given solo success. Years rolled by while fans clamored for more of his straight-forward brand of punk rock.  However, little was heard from Lars, aside from Rancid’s Let the Dominoes Fall. Well, wait no longer; after six years, L. Fred is back with an entirely new side project that features another able backing band. Aside from Lars, the three-piece, dubbed The Old Firm Casuals, is comprised of Casey Watson (of Look Back and Laugh & Never Healed) on bass and Paul Rivas (of Never Healed)  manning the drum kit.


Leading up to the release of their new 7”, titled We Want the Lion’s Sharethere was much speculation about how the ‘Casuals might sound. When the needle hits the record and the first chords belt out of your speakers, there’s no question this outfit had come for one thing, balls to the wall working class rock & roll brought with some boot tappin’ gusto. The material isn’t a far cry from Lars & the Bastards music; there’s just an acute accentuation on the OI! and the street punk side of things.

According to Lars, the 4 tracks on the EP were recorded in a rehearsal space on a 4-track (after only 4 months/ 9 practices together, mind you), and in as much is in stark contrast from the hi-fi production qualities of ‘Bastards and Rancid albums.  In fact, it seems almost everything about the band was thrown together quickly for the sake of spontaneity (whether or not this was done to lend some street cred legitimacy is to be debated). Surprisingly, so far so good… to a point.

The EP cracks its lid with “Old Firm (D.M.S.)”, a fun bloody-knuckled romp on the streets with a crew of hoods and hooligans with just one slight setback, a particularly weak chorus (maybe it should have gotten the gang vocal treatment?). As it turns out, minute yet glaring flaws turn out to be a reoccurring theme throughout Lion’s Share’s 10 minute running time. The second track “Lone Wolf” is a smash-mouth kicker that could have been plucked off of either of the aforementioned  solo albums and goes off without a hitch. “Apocalypse Coming” is a solid mid-tempo head-bobbing  jam, to which I would happily swill many a 40 ounce to, if it wasn’t for some (wait for it) annoying gang vocals that just seem to take the song from fresh to redundant every time they rear their ugly head.  “Casual” also would be a killer call to arms for all the rowdy & raucous too, but with too many chants of  “Let’s go, let’s go casual” and it’s a sinking ship bailing water.

The Old Firm casuals aren’t treading new ground, and there may be a few weak spots on We Want the Lion’s Share, but the EP will whet the appetite of fans that have been waiting for new material from Lars.  Hopefully, there is more to come in the near future (and they take a little more care this next time around).



14 comments:

  1. Vic, many thanks for your heads up about this. I had stagnated and sweet Jesus Christ, this really is wickedly anabolic.
    I've upped 8lbs in just short of 2 months and power is via the roof. (315lb shoulder presses for one particular). Keeping a shut eye on possible sides and maintaining the liver detoxed as considerably as you possibly can, whilst upping protein by double. PCT is going to be the determining element in maintaining the gains, but gentlemen, this really is no bullshit critical equipment.

    Here is my site :: mike chang six pack shortcuts download free

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Boyfriend requirements assist, he's six and 140lbs when he use to become a hundred and seventy three months ago. He became ill and physicians still do not know whats wrong with him. I'm anxious because he is adhering to an incredibly limited acid reflux disorder diet plan.
    Just this previous 7 days he has dropped 8lbs. How
    can he acquire weight with acid reflux disorder complicating
    this for him. He is actually skin and bones now. Please aid!


    My web blog - mike chang monster mass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treatments 1 and 4 are undoubtedly my preferred ones.
    Who knew that eating some of my favorite foods could actually help my enamel as
    good as any toothbrush or mouthwash?

    Review my web site ... teeth whitening strips amazon

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! I live in the Ft. Really worth location, and I'm scared my backyard lose would most likely be shared with spiders, fireplace ants, geckos, and lizards! Every single 12 months after i visit obtain the Xmas decorations out from the lose, I disrupt the life of two or 3 geckos. We (the geckos and i) try not to holler a lot of with surprise! But possibly I'll desire a little.
    ..

    Check out my web site ... arrow woodvale metal shed Instructions

    ReplyDelete
  5. What if you and your friend started out as teenage crushes but nothing ever
    happened because one of you was within a relationship or experienced moved?

    I have an amazing friend/crush who has been there for me for many years.
    Our feelings haven't changed and we might finally possess a chance to take our feelings somewhere. Must I go for it?

    My site; models attract women through honesty download

    ReplyDelete
  6. This man is remarkable, a accurate Bro-King.

    Here is my blog post: superman stamina real review

    ReplyDelete
  7. hiii im gonna start herbalife solution from coming week.
    ..i've hypothyrodism and im on tablet thyronom 100mg and im employing PCOD tablet metformin...am i able to use herbalife product?...im unmarried i want to reduce my fat...remember to support me na?...

    Feel free to visit my blog post - precision nutrition john berardi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Random thought that popped into my head because of my recent troubles.



    My homepage - kirsten price

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a shame you don't have a donate button!
    I'd without a doubt donate to this outstanding blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to fresh updates and will share this
    site with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

    my weblog ... vigrx-plus in korea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi colleagues, how is everything, and what you desire to say
    about this post, in my view its really awesome designed for me.


    My blog office furniture credenzas

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a speech competition next? week about making use of technology for education.

    I hope none of my competitors see this.

    my web page - premature ejaculation problems in males
    ()

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, wonderful publish just for the meals. I am a follower of Martin's website but never followed this 1 till this collaboration. Martin's
    website is great but does not have many recipes.

    Also visit my blog post - pn lean eating for women

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you arе goіng for beѕt contentѕ liκe I dο, οnly viѕіt thіѕ web ρаge daіly fоr the reaѕοn thаt it pгovides
    quаlitу contents, thanks

    My wеb blοg: legal amphetamines ()

    ReplyDelete